In this time of Constitutional crisis, it is interesting that the Magna Carta was sold just the other day for $21 million. There are some that would like for us to beleive that our founding fathers dreamed up our Constitution de novo. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Magna Carta and English Common law were the foundation of our Constitution.
The relation between our Constitution and the Magna Carta can been found here.
Magna Carta fun facts
- There are 17 copies
- The document was written in Latin
- The original document was drawn up as a temporary document therefore it had to be renewed. This is one of the reasons for so many copies
- Ross Perot bought the 1297 version back in 1984 which was sold to the Carlyle Group (Bush family very much associated with the Carlyle Group)
- “No King is above the law”
- “No freeman shall be taken, imprisoned,…or in any other way destroyed…except by the lawful judgment of his peers, or by the law of the land. To no one will we sell, to none will we deny or delay, right or justice.”