- Longtime Massachusetts senator Edward Kennedy underwent three hours of brain surgery today at Duke University to remove glioma. The surgeons called the procedure successful. My hopes and prayers go out to Senator Kennedy and his family.
- Conservative columnist William Kristol attempted to belittle Barack Obama and his speech that he gave at Wesleyan University. His point, petty as it is, that brought Obama really did not give up much to go be a community organizer on the south side of Chicago. Kristol states, “And leave aside whether $14,000 in 1985 was really such a shockingly low salary for someone recently out of college — in inflation-adjusted dollars, it’s about what we pay entry-level editorial assistants today at The Weekly Standard.” Let’s not leave aside. Let’s look at this. According to Think Progress, inflation-adjusted salary would be $23,958. That is in Washington, DC, one of the most expensive cities in the country. William Kristol needs to better by his employees.
- The Dow Jones industrial average took a tumble today. It lost over 134 points. Just look at some of the news that came out of Wall Street today. Wachovia fires its CEO. 3 major US banks get their credit rating downgraded. It is kind amazing that the Dow didn’t fall any more.
- House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn is backing Obama. Hillary Backer and former presidential candidate Tom Vilsack says that she should pack it in after tomorrow.
- Michael Savage is one of the lowest of the right-wing low-lifes, so it doesn’t surprise me that he played several songs from the Dead Kennedy’s yesterday. Just to add some more, low-brow humor, he sprinkled in a drop from the movie Kindergarten Cop with Arnold saying, “It’s not a tumor.” Really funny. NOT!
- Both Senator Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton had some kind words for Senator Edward Kennedy. They both get a high-five from me.
- Again, Clinton is staying in the race. It is her right, I’m just not sure to what end.
- On the international scene, there has been a huge outbreak of violence in South Africa. The violence seems to be targeting immigrants with 22 dead and hundreds injured. (more…)
We really don’t know any more than we did six or seven hours ago. Neither the Washington Post, New York Times, or the Boston Globe really have anything new. Senator Edward Kennedy had a seizure this morning. He was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston where tests are being run. The Senator is reportedly awake and interactive. That’s about it.