A couple of weeks ago, I was hosting Local Edge Radio and I interviewed David Madland from the Center for American Progress for my podcast. We discussed his new report, Making Our Middle Class Stronger – 35 Policies to Revitalize America’s Middle Class.
- Lower the Cost of College
- Reduce costs and barriers to job training
- Raise workplace standards
- Reduce costs of getting sick or losing a job
- Boost retirement security
- Make it possible for workers to also be caregivers for children and elderly parents
- Stabilize the costs of housing
- Create middle-class jobs
- Reduce energy and transportation costs
- Focus policymakers on the middle class
These are just a few of the recommendations. Please click on the above link to read the whole paper. In my opinion, the key is to focus on the middle class. So many of our policies today are focused on the rich. We seem to go out of our way to make things better for the rich with the hopes that it’ll trickle down to the middle class. That doesn’t happen. Listen to the podcast in order to hear what David Madland has to say about strengthening the middle class.