- A couple of days ago, I talked about the craziness of our politics. I simply don’t understand why we are arguing over the debt ceiling. Sure, the Republicans think that they have the advantage and could get some cuts in some programs (Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security: programs they’ve hated since their inception). They are playing with our credit and our ability to borrow. This is just nuts.
- It looks like this shutdown of the Minnesota state government is over. I’m not sure if the citizens of Minnesota have won or lost in this battle.
- How did the prosecutor botch the Roger Clemens trial?
- At the British Open, nothing went as expected. Tom Lewis, an amateur, shares the lead.
- US women beat France to advance to the finals of the World Cup. Women’s soccer. Who would’ve thought that this is the best sport for anybody to watch in America today.
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has proposed one of the craziest ideas about raising the debt ceiling without actually voting for raising the debt ceiling. This is a whole lot of mental energy so that Republicans don’t look like they’re doing what they’re supposed to be doing.
- In Afghanistan, President Karzai’s half brother was gunned down yesterday.
I gotta run. What’s on your mind? What stories are you following? What stories am I missing?