Tiger Woods – one of the greatest ever

My goodness, (I got the phrase from Donald Rumsfeld) what a season!  I’m not really a golf fan but Tiger Woods is a superstar (define superstar as someone who you just have to watch).  He was simply great. 

From ESPN.com:

In an announcement that featured less surprise than the Britney/K-Fed breakup, Tiger Woods was named the 2006 PGA Tour Player of the Year on Tuesday. That’s right: The seasons change, the Earth continues spinning on its axis and Tiger Woods earns a postseason award. All is right with the world once again.

Those holding their breath may now confidently exhale. The rest of us will continue debating the merits of Woods’ season as compared with the greatest in PGA Tour history. After all, we live in a world of rankings and lists, where players’ feats are consistently measured against their own previous bests, against those of their peers, against legendary all-time marks, and it’s fitting that Tiger’s latest journey sparks similar cogitation.

Outstanding article on SF trauma center

Are these the values that Sean Hannity and Bill O’Reilly are talking about?  These are the values that I live by.  My good friend, Andre Campbell, MD, is featured in this story. 

From SF Chonicle:

After 13 years doing trauma surgery at San Francisco General Hospital, Dr. Andre Campbell knows just about everything there is to know about calamity, mayhem and long nights. On this Friday evening, when he was on call and tethered to the hospital until Saturday morning, his wife’s leftover meat loaf — his favorite — represented an oasis, a pause to look forward to. So even though he was hungry, he put off eating it.

He was catching up on paperwork in his modest, cluttered office — Campbell is General Hospital’s chief of medicine and is also chairman of surgical education at UCSF — when his beeper sounded about 7:30 p.m. on April 28. A shooting victim rode in an ambulance highballing it toward the Emergency Room three flights below. All through the hospital, the on-call trauma team hurried toward the ER.  more

Racism still a problem

From CNN.comNow, this poll get the “No Duh Award.”  By even measure that I can think of racism still exists. Now, I’m not going to trash this study BUT one of the questions asks if you have been discrimminated against, only 51% of Blacks who answered the study said yes.  I would like to know who are the other 49%.  Where do they live because I want to move there? 

From CNN.com:

Most Americans, white and black, see racism as a lingering problem in the United States, and many say they know people who are racist, according to a new poll.

But few Americans of either race — about one out of eight — consider themselves racist.

And experts say racism has evolved from the days of Jim Crow to the point that people may not even recognize it in themselves.

A poll conducted last week by Opinion Research Corp. for CNN indicates that whites and blacks disagree on how serious a problem racial bias is in the United States.

Almost half of black respondents — 49 percent — said racism is a “very serious” problem, while 18 percent of whites shared that view. Forty-eight percent of whites and 35 percent of blacks chose the description “somewhat serious.”

Asked if they know someone they consider racist, 43 percent of whites and 48 percent of blacks said yes.

But just 13 percent of whites and 12 percent of blacks consider themselves racially biased.

The poll was based on phone interviews conducted December 5 through Thursday with 1,207 Americans, including 328 blacks and 703 non-Hispanic whites. Continue reading